Monday, June 21, 2010

Taking it hard and fast

Hugs I have had recently that I have thoroughly enjoyed:

Karen
Nic
Harriet
Ruthie & Ian
A whole bunch of people at the pub the other night.

Hugs I have had recently that I have not enjoyed at all. No, siree.

The pavement.

So, in a moment that in retrospect was clearly drug induced, so insane was the action, I decided to go for what most might call a 'run'. However, is unfair to actual runners to describe it this way when in reality I stop, walk, chat to cats and tie up my shoelaces a great deal. And now I can add falling over to my list of 'running' accomplishments. In my defence, it was dark, the pavement was next to a cemetery so probably the broken up concrete I tripped over was zombies trying to escape and not me being clumsy, but whatever - I tripped and fell spectacularly. Fortunately, my beautiful face was not marred -I used my less-likely-to-be-seen-by-the-public elbow, knee and palm to take the blow. And then I lay, sprawled on the pavement saying just the one word over and over. This word could probably be found in the Oxford dictionary with 'obscenity' next to it.

And then I got back up and like a trooper I kept on going because in the dark the injuries looked a bit pathetic. Yes, I am indeed very brave.

Of course, when I got home, I discovered my leg was covered in blood, as was my shoe, thanks to Mr Knee. Disappointingly, there was no one home to appreciate this sight or offer me pity.

Our house is up for sale and on Saturday, just twenty minutes before the real estate agent arrived with the first lot of eager home buyers, my flatmate Kev put his foot through the floorboards in the hallway. We don't want the house to sell but Kev assures us his manoeuvre was entirely accidental. Apparently skipping like an elephant is part of his daily routine that just happened to coincide with a very weak floorboard.

3 comments:

Determinist said...

Ouch!

Nothing too permanent I hope.

I have been lucky - no running falls so far this decade. It's only a matter of time I suppose.

Penelope said...

You need to work on your clumsy, Travis. Also, try running in the dark over unhappy pavement.

Determinist said...

Yeah, working on my clumsy is on my "to-do" list. Thanks for the reminder.