Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thoughts from this very comfy blow-up mattress

Edinburgh is a bit stingy with its weather. It's pretending to be sunny but the moment you get outside the wind attacks you with chilly and grasping fingers, and sticks its nose up your shorts in the manner of a very impertinent canine.

I have achieved very little the past few days, although, as I am unemployed and on a very tight budget, I suspect doing very little is one of my best options. And I'm pretty good at it. I am particularly good at drinking tea and eating chocolate covered peanuts in bed. I even half cleaned the bathroom yesterday. And I did the dishes. And made a very good midnight snack of Welsh rarebit after Manda and I overdid the 'bad day at the office must have several glasses (bottles) of plonk' bit. Obviously she had had the bad day at the office, but as a good friend I felt I ought to help her out in the drinking of wine bit, because I am a trooper like that. I did not feel like a trooper yesterday morning. I didn't even want the chocolate covered peanuts. But I dragged myself out of bed and set off for Glasgow. Eventually met up with Manda, who was there for work, and Frazer, who I have not seen since the epic camping trip of '03, and whose accent is like wading through very thick chocolate. Transpired he had the other Amanda visiting him, who was also on that trip back in the day, so there was much rejoycing and catching up and bemoaning all the people who seem to have become adults since then, bastards.

Frazer has a very nasty habit of buying another round just as you're about to say you've had enough.

This morning I don't feel too bad, despite the six pints, and I've just remembered the bottle of cider to get us through the train trip, whoops, so I've eaten the peanuts and drunk the tea and realised we're out of toilet paper, which is irksome. However, everything pales in comparison to the depressing conversation I just had with Jody, who has recently moved home, about unemployment. We have decided we might have to take up drinking cheap sherry out of tea cups whilst perusing the wanted section of the paper. Or watching Oprah.

Unemployment/travelling is making my jeans shrink.

No comments: