Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hello darkness my old friend

My weekend
By Lady P

On my weekend I didn't get much sleep and that trend continued right up until this morning so now I am a mess.
On Friday I went to Kruse's work drinks and drank pints like the English. None of this fancy pantsy wine business that we had at the work lunch earlier that day. I also demonstrated how a Kiwi woman has no fear of words that can leave an English chap shaking in fear. Might not have made any friends there.
And then we went home and got Chinese takeaways because we needed them. And then I fell asleep during the DVD. And then Skye and Mike woke me up at 5.30am because they didn't come into the house quietly enough after their night of messiness elsewhere.
Saturday - no one feels so shiny. Skye mentions the well-known restorative powers of tomato juice and vodka/lemonade and beer and we spend the day testing them. Kruse made soup. We ate soup. The sun went away so Mike and Kruse made a fort in the living room out of the sofa, chairs, sheets, a pole, some books and fairy lights and then we spent the afternoon/evening in the fort watching DVDs and waiting for the Chinese takeaway shop to open again at 4pm.
Sunday. Mel and John's flatwarming. Starts at 3pm, I make it by 4.30 after luring Skye into the fort with shandies, Chinese takeaways and Damien Rice for a few hours of lolling. We are good at lolling. The flatwarming is hours of entertainment and then not enough sleep on the foldout sofa, me once again squished between Chook and Kruse. Go home smelling like beer. Get straight into pyjamas and spend all day drinking carbonated stuff and eating cheese. Just as well it's a public holiday else I'd be at work right now.
Do not sleep well so Tuesday at work I put all the things that require intelligence into a pile for Wednesday and fantasize about my bed. However, at 5pm Dan tells me that Nic is in town for one night only and there is dinner in Clapham. I do the math and figure I can be home by 10.30 which gives me enough time to start catching up on sleep. I am not that good at math.
We see Nic and lots of other people and drink cocktails, which make me feel so much better. And we have dinner. And we leave before 10pm, so it looks like I might be home by 11. Until my train stops moving. It started again, but didn't like it so stopped again.
I get home by midnight, open the door quietly, only to discover that someone has piled all the recycling bottles by the door and I am obliged to walk into them. Clamber into bed and discover that sleep has already visited my house and forgot to leave any behind for me. Cocktails and curry in my stomach decide they are not chums. Not a good night. Wake up a sweaty mess and decided that have tossed and turned so much in the night that I don't need to go the gym and will instead lie in bed and have strange dream about Mrs Spencer and tissues and my dad's missing library book until 8am.
Get to work - pile of manuscripts from yesterday gives me the evil eye. Realise I forgot to raid chocolate cupboard at home and now have only boring old fruit to eat. Day is going downhill quickly. Gets worse when typesetter in India does not believe me when I say that Chapter 9 is in a completely different font and I need that book to go to the printer now. Have to leave office to go to shop to buy several different blocks of chocolate to make the day better. Am tempted to make fort in office in which to hide from world. I think I could sit under my desk and use my coat as a curtain for this purpose.

No comments: